Farewell and Welcome!
SLT has had some 'movement'! We sadly bid farewell to our Energy Program Manager, Anton Vikstrom. Over 6 years with us, Anton has been a passionate sustainability champion. Through deft management of our energy efficiency programs for low income households, he has helped many thousands of Tasmanians to save energy and money, and improve the health and comfort of their homes. A jack-of-all trades and a master of some with a quirky flare, Anton will be sorely missed. We wish him all the best with Good Life Permaculture. We are excited to welcome Scott Blacklow, as our Sustainability Consultant who will be focusing on working with government and businesses. You can read his bio on the SLT staff page.
Sustainable House Day Chats
The 16th September is the nationwide Sustainable House Day. Check out the houses open to view
in your area.
If you are unable to visit an open house, then why not come along to the Sustainable House Day Chats to be held at the SLT office
. Local architects and building designers will be available to answer your ecohome questions, and provide information and advice on topics such as passive solar building, construction methods, and energy efficiency. RSVP required please.
Keep the date - AGM 25 September 2018
We invite all members to our 2018 Annual General Meeting on Tuesday 25th September at 7pm at Sustainable Living Tasmania, 1st floor 71 Murray Street Hobart. Light refreshments will be served. Please RSVP for catering purposes. If you're not already a member, please sign up now here
. We are also looking for people to join our Board of Management. Nominations
are due by 15th September 2018.
Need extra warmth?
- First check your insulation and top up if needed.
- Then focus on which rooms you really need to heat and draughtproof around the perimeter.
- Ensure you have pelmets and insulating block-out curtains or honeycomb blinds on your windows.
- Finally, look at your heating options. Our research shows that heat pumps are by far the most efficient form of heating and will save you money in the long term.
New solar system research
We’ve got a number of Tuesday lunchtime workshops coming up on solar systems.
- The first workshop is 'what should I do with my solar panels when the 1:1 feed-in tariff ends?' (18th Sept, 2nd Oct, 16th Oct).
- Or, if you are looking for solar then you may be interested in 'how to get the most out of solar panels in Tasmania' (9th Oct, 23rd Oct).
- You'll be able to ask questions and benefit from our latest research on:
- Tariffs - and what's best for you.
- What size system.
- What size panels.
- Best pitch and orientation.
- Battery systems.
RSVP required please.