This year, we at Sustainable Living Tasmania have worked tirelessly. Looking back we're always surprised by how much we've managed to achieve, and it's thanks to your ongoing support! There's plenty more to do, including some exciting things over the next few months.
Please make a gift to the future by giving a tax-deductible donation before the end of the financial year.
Highlights for 2017/18
This year we have...
Helped thousands of Tasmanian households to take their next steps toward living sustainably, including installing hundreds of kilowatts of rooftop solar panels, about twenty thousand square metres of insulation, one hundred and fifty efficient heat pumps, scores of efficient hot water systems, and well over a thousand LED downlights!
Assited many Tasmanian businesses and community organisations to operate more sustainably, including over 40kW of efficient heating and 300 square metres of insulation for Neighbourhood Houses Tasmania new premises, and a 100kW rooftop solar panel system for an aged-care facility to be installed in July!
- Organised the Tasmanian leg of Paul Hawken's Drawdown speaking tour on global solutions to climate change
Supported scores of volunteer community groups by providing strategic and legal guidance, financial auspicing, public liability insurance, and hosting of meetings and events.
- One such group was Plasticwise Taroona, who have been absolute superstars in their first year, making over 1000 reusable cloth bags from recycled materials, diverting over 200kgs of scrap fabric from landfill, working with shops to go plastic bag free (yay Hill Street Grocer, Philadelphia Bakers, and Mountain Creek Outdoors), saving over 685,000 plastic bags from ending up in our environment, working with cafes to replace plastic straws with reusable stainless steel straws (yay Ginger Brown Cafe, Honey Brown Cafe, Brooke Street Larder, and Hamlet Hobart), and speaking with hundreds of school students about reducing waste and the solutions to plastic pollution - all while building skills and awareness in our community.
Supporting the international award-winning Education for Sustainability Tasmania - a network recognised by the United Nations as a Regional Centre for Expertise in Education for Sustainable Development
- Assisting with the uptake of electric vehicles in Tasmania through the Tasmanian Government's Electric Vehicle Working Group
- and much more!
Please help us continue this important work by giving a tax-deductible donation before the end of the financial year.
Exciting things to come in 2018/19
We have so many exciting things to come next financial year. To name just two:
- In the coming months we will publish our first report on the Climate Solutions project, outlining how Tasmania can play a leadership role in securing a safe global climate!
- Over the next 9 months we will be assisting 7 local councils to plan for integrating electric vehicles into their fleet by delivering the Smarter Fleets - Electric Vehicles in Local Government program for the Tasmanian Government
Please help us continue our important work. What's at stake is nothing less than the wellbeing of our children, and of all children to come. Make a gift to the future by giving a tax-deductible donation before the end of the financial year. Thank you for your ongoing support!