Following on from the stellar success of our annual Living Local Feast, we are throwing the reins over to you, to help us raise funds and awareness about eating locally. Please consider supporting the Tassievore Initiative by hosting your own Living Local Feast!
Here is everything you need to know about hosting your own feast for the Tassievore Eat Local Challenge in a locally-grown nutshell:
Ways you can do it:
- Invite your nearest and dearest around to your house for a meal cooked with mostly Tasmanian produce.
- Make a group booking at a restaurant that you know does a great job with local produce and invite your food loving friends.
- Organise a pot-luck picnic and ask everyone to bring something that features local produce or 100% local ingredients if they’re really keen.
- You could even organise an event at your workplace or a local community hall if you’re feeling particularly inspired – this is an amazing way to spread the word!
What we need you to do:
Register via our online form
- Enjoy sharing the wonderful food and drink that this island has to offer by hosting a feast before the end of June 2017.
- Complete the questions on the “Host Questionnaire” there are some for you to answer as a host and some we’d like you to ask your guests.
- Send round a hat/bag or tin for your guests/friends to make a donation to continue to promote the local food movement in Tasmania through the Tassievore Eat Local Challenge – hopefully you think it’s a worthy cause if you’ve got this far!
- Donate any funds raised to Sustainable Living Tasmania (our host organisation) online – https://slt.nationbuilder.com/tassievore_donate or contact Janine (email@example.com) to find out about EFT options use “Tassievore HYO” as a reference
- Share your pictures and stories with us through social media (and email too please! firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Open up a discussion about eating locally (see list of conversation starters at the end of this info sheet if you are stuck!)
Things that might help:
- Tassievore Pantry – list of what Tasmanian food and drink you can expect to find and some of our biggest supporters.
- Tassievore’s Local Food Store and Market Directory
- Tassievore Recipes
- Tassievore news from our local food correspondents and others
- Tassievore Community on facebook great for asking questions and getting tips!
- Info for Hosts - basically all of this information in a downloadable, printable .pdf
- Invite Template - a basic invitation template that you can personalise for your feast guests.
Conversation starters (if you feel like reporting back on the discussion we’d love to hear about it!):
- What are your favourite Tasmanian foods or drinks?
- Do you have any edible plants growing at home?
- Do you think about the origin of food when you are shopping or eating out?
- What do you find most rewarding (or would find most rewarding) about eating locally?
- What makes it easier (or would make it easier) for you to eat locally?
- Have you found any shops or cafes that do an amazing range of local food?
- How easy do you think it would be to eat mostly Tasmanian for a day/week/month/year/forever?
- What are the problems or issues with eating locally or supporting local businesses?
- What could Tassievore Eat Local Challenge do to support you and your friends and family to grow/buy/eat more local produce?
- What do you know about where the food you eat comes from and how it’s produced?
So why is Tassievore worth supporting?
- We inspire Tasmanians to support their local farmers and businesses.
- We encourage people to grow their own produce.
- We show people where they can go to buy Tasmanian produce.
- We offer simple affordable recipes so that people can cook their own Tassievore meals and snacks.
- We connect Tassievores together to share tips and resources via our community group and facebook page.
- We share stories about local farmers, businesses and fellow Tassievores to make buying, growing and eating local easier.
- We help Tasmanians get the skills and knowledge to live more locally – which has benefits for our whole planet!
- We’re volunteer-led and we want to keep growing and sharing the Tassievore love.
Please help us on this journey by making a tax-deductible donation to Sustainable Living Tasmania.