Hans Sipsma's activity stream
Hans Sipsma commented on Climate solutions 2017-08-25 09:56:04 +1000It’s great what you’re doing and I know its very hard to get the message out there, but I feel you could do a lot more to promote your work and get it in the public sphere.
Hans Sipsma commented on Tasmania's emissions target 2017-08-23 18:07:54 +1000The graph indicates that Tasmania should reduce net emissions to zero by 2035 after which total emissions are still in negative to compensate for the LULUCF emissions we used up since 1994, but by 2100 would also be close to zero, correct?
There will still be an awful lot of GHG in the atmosphere [500ppm?] and temperatures would still be increasing due to the long tail off of CO2. Even if the rest of the world would adopt a scenario such as Tasmania [which they are obviously not] it may still not end global warming by the end of the century. [the absorption of CO2 is very uncertain science as yet] https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2010/12/common-climate-misconceptions-atmospheric-carbon-dioxide/
So I would prefer it, just to make sure, if your plan for Tasmania used a scenario where LULUCF plus Agriculture, Aquaculture and possibly industrial processes continued and increased sequestered carbon, which means that rather than Tasmania doing the minimum to comply to targets, we are able to compensate for those less willing or able to. [ climate equity] We have that potential, imagine how much renewable energy we could export to the mainland if we invested more in renewables rather than relying on our Hydro. Imagine the good image we would have as a world leader in sequestration and sustainability. I would love to see all the coloured lines well below the baseline please.
Hans Sipsma donated 2017-08-23 14:19:47 +1000
Join for $10 plus a tax-deductible donation of your choice and enjoy the following membership benefits:
- be part of an organisation that takes positive, practical and effective action on sustainability-related issues and activities in Tasmania.
- connect with like-minded people of all ages.
- get help to demystify the various products and services out there – we've done all the legwork and are happy to help you work out what you need.
- borrow books and DVDs from our extensive library – from big picture thinking to practical details across all areas of living sustainably.
- be kept in the loop on Tasmania's sustainability-related projects and events via our regular newsletter.