The Tasmanian Energy Efficiency Loan Scheme (TEELS) - a joint initiative of the Tasmanian Government, Aurora Energy and the Westpac Group - was launched today (Monday 1st May 2017). The Scheme will provide interest-free finance for the purchase of energy efficient products for Tasmanian households and small businesses.
Note that another program, NILS, is also currently open. It includes a 50% subsidy, but is only open to Tasmanian households on low incomes.
There are many products available. Sustainable Living Tasmania's energy experts are here to help you work out which option is best for your unique circumstances. Visit us at first floor 71 Murray Street, Hobart, or contact us on 6234 5566 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Non-ducted reverse cycle air conditioners – minimum 2.5 star energy efficiency rating;
- Solar panels;
- Solar power battery storage;
- Efficient wood heaters;
- Gas*, air source heat pump hot water and solar hot water heating systems;
- Condensation control systems;
- Ceiling insulation and floor insulation;
- Double glazing;
- Block out curtains, blinds and pelmets;
- Fridges, Freezers and Washing machines rated above a 3 star energy rating;
- Irrigation pumps;
- Building upgrades to reduce energy use; and
- Industrial refrigeration.
Use our social enterprise website, Eco Home Guide to get great prices on quality products - we've done the homework so you don't have to! Buying through Eco Home Guide supports our important work through a small commission on sales. This doesn't mean you pay more; in fact, our supporters pay less thanks to the great deals we've negotiated with reputable Tassie suppliers on your behalf.
- The scheme is open to Tasmanian residential and small business customers (definition of small business = consumes less than 150 MWh per annum, which is approx. $30,000 per annum);
- Residential and small business customers can apply for a no-interest finance between $500 and $10,000;
- A further component of TEELS to assist small businesses with larger purchases of energy efficient products is currently being finalised. Small businesses seeking support to purchase products valued over $10,000 are encouraged to pre-register in order to receive further information as it becomes available;
- The interest-free period for amounts up to $10,000 is 3 years (it may be longer for larger small business loans if that component is finalised);
- Customers will be permitted one successful application for the duration of the scheme, however Aurora have indicated multiple people within the same property can make separate applications;
- Customers can purchase multiple eligible products provided they don't exceed the maximum finance value in the application category.
- More than 1,860 customers expressed an interest in the scheme via the online registration process;
- The scheme is available to customers for a period of 12 months, or until funds run out, so get in quick!;
- Products can be purchased from any supplier which has operated in Tasmania for a period of 18 months or more (which includes all of our partner businesses on Eco Home Guide);
- While TEELS is being run through Aurora, you don't need to be an Aurora customer to be eligible (i.e. off-grid and/or with a different retailer are eligible).
- A total of up to $10 million of finance will be provided through the scheme.
- Customers will apply through the Aurora website, confirming they reside/operate business in Tasmania and that they are purchasing an eligible product.
- Aurora will send an email back to customer confirming application and then forward info to Westpac.
- Westpac will contact customer to arrange appointment. We believe existing Westpac customers can be approved on the spot, while others may take a little longer.
- Customers will then be subject to normal Westpac lending processes and requirements
This is all the information we have to date.
Sustainable Living Tasmania's energy experts are here to help! Visit us at first floor 71 Murray Street, Hobart, or contact us on 6234 5566 or email@example.com.