We run, host and promote lots of great sustainability-related events all over Tassie. Check out what's on below. You might also be interested in hiring our event space or partnering with us to deliver an event. You can view all past events here.
Let us help promote your event - Anyone can promote an event through our events page and on our community Facebook page.
Sustainable Living event
We invite all members to our 2017 Annual General Meeting on Tuesday 26th September at 7pm at Sustainable Living Tasmania, 1st floor 71 Murray Street Hobart.
In addition to the formal business of the AGM (below) Margaret Steadman (Tasmania's Senior Australian of the Year, and Sustainable Living Tasmania Board member, life member, and former Executive Officer) will share her reflections.
Light refreshments will be served. Please RSVP below for catering purposes.
- Confirm the minutes of the preceding AGM;
- Presentation of the 2016/17 Annual Report;
- Presentation of the 2016/17 Audited Financial Report;
- Appointment of the auditor and determination of the auditor's remuneration;
- Election of the members of the Board of Management (nomination form); and
- Amendment of the Constitution (see below).
Many changes to the Constitution are proposed. You can download the Constitution here. In this document you can see the current constitution (approved at the 2016 AGM) by switching to "Original" mode in the Review Pane of Microsoft Word. You can see the proposed changes and explanatory comments by switching to "Final: Showing Markup" mode. You can view the proposed new constitution by switching to "Final" mode. If you're not familiar with this functionality, check out this help page.
We're looking for people to join our Board of Management
Sustainable Living Tasmania is currently focused on two things:
- The Climate Solution project: Devising plans for Tasmania to play a leadership role in securing a safe global climate by becoming carbon neutral by 2035 and a net sink for the remainder of the century.
- Securing financial resilience through the development of two social enterprises that simultaneously assist households and businesses to improve their environmental impacts -namely Eco Home Guide and commercial energy consulting.
As such, the organisation would benefit greatly from having additional people on the Board of Management with skills and experience in establishing and developing businesses and/or social enterprises, as well as policy and strategy development in relevant fields (e.g. climate, energy, transport, agriculture, forestry, planning, industry, waste, etc).
If you are interested in joining the Board of Management, please contact Executive Officer, Todd Houstein on (03) 6281 9361.
- Monday, October 02, 2017 at 09:00 AM – October 13, 2017
- Tasman Ecovillage in Nubeena, Australia
This internationally recognised PDC course has an emphasis on practical application of permaculture design as applied to temperate regions.
The Tasman Ecovillage property and the adjacent Tasman Demonstration Project property will be used for the design and practical component of the PDC. For more details see www.mdurand.com.au. Course participants should make their own arrangements for accommodation. Motel accommodation is available onsite at www.parsonsbayretreat.com.au. Limited camping facilities are also available onsite. Direct expressions of interest to Miles Durand firstname.lastname@example.org or 0474 559 791.
Get expert advice and hear about our first bulk buy on energy efficient heat pumps that this Home Energy Bulk Buy workshop.
You'll also hear about when all our bulk buys are coming up including insulation, solar PV and batteries and efficient hot water!
The Home Energy Bulk Buy is funded by the Southern Tasmanian Councils Authority
- Sunday, November 05, 2017 at 08:00 AM – November 09, 2017
- tbc in Hobart, Australia
The Tasmanian branch of the Australian Electric Vehicle Association is organising a four day electric bike ride from Hobart to Devonport as a lead-up to the national 2017 Electric Vehicle Festival.
The 390 km route will take us up the East Coast and via Lake Leake, with overnight stops in Little Swanport, Lake Leake and Hadspen. We will enjoy iconic scenic Tasmanian routes, and will maximise travel on safer roads with light traffic, for example avoiding much of the main highways.
We expect to have a group of 10 to 20 riders.
To find out more and register your interest to receive updates, go to https://evfest.aeva.asn.au/taseride
The Festival includes a 2 day conference, a display of all sorts of electric vehicles and a drive to Cradle Mountain for electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids. Whatever your particular interest is in the future of sustainable transport, Devonport will be the place to be, and what better way to get there than on an electric bicycle!
- Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 01:00 PM
- Community garden off the badminton court car park in South Hobart, Australia
Every second Saturday of the month from 1-3pm. Come and join us, bring any garden things you have excess of that you would like to share.
As always, everyone is welcome with or without tools - the main point is to work together and share all our garden questions, solutions and general combined wisdom.
- Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 08:30 PM – December 18, 2017
- Bathurst St, from Murray – Elizabeth St in Hobart, Australia
Every Sunday, come rain hail or shine, a busy street in the heart of Hobart transforms into a bustling farmers’ market. It’s all about Tasmanian produce and getting to know your farmer.
- Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 12:30 PM
- Kingborough Civic Centre in Kingston, Australia
The market operates EVERY Wed 12.30pm to 4pm. Come and purchase your weekly supply of veg, fruit, meat, bread, honey, eggs, preserves, ferments, delicious ready to eat meals and more!